Space, Solar, and Heliospheric Science
RSS icon Email icon Home icon
    5,328 views
  • ERC Starting Grant Submitted! :-)

Posted on October 26th, 2012 Dr. Mario M. Bisi No comments

Well, through the two weeks leading up to the deadline of 15:00UT on Wednesday 17 October 2012 I kept re-revising things and updating details in my application and I settled on my final version a couple of hours before the final cut-off having proof-read everything over one last time the night before. It turns out that there was an increase of around 50% in the number of submissions this time around (which is hardly surprising given that this was the last EU FP7 Call before Horizon-2020 takes over in 2013/2014) with 3329 submissions in total and 1502 of those in the Physical Sciences and Engineering classification where my proposal lies… Further details on the ERC Starting Grant Call and outcomes can be found from their WebPages here!

Next I will endevour to update these pages and my official profile at Aberystwyth University over the coming few weeks so that, as written into the ERC Grant Application, everything is up to date and complete by the end of November.

Thanks for continuing to come back, I appreciate it!

• Share/Save/Bookmark
  • 5,803 views
  • Busy Doesn’t Begin to Describe it…

Posted on October 8th, 2012 Dr. Mario M. Bisi No comments

It appears that some nineteen and a half months have passed since I was last able to write anything at all on my website, so between now and the end of November 2012 I am going to update all the relevant information on here including the new addition of my ERC project proposal and some preliminary information related to the proposal in addition to the proposal text which will be submitted in its final form on 17 October 2012…

Being back in Wales things have most-definitely gotten busier - both in terms of work - and personally - lots of things in development with regards to work and lots of changes on the personal front - all for the good though and very exciting overall! :-)

And so, yes, I am still here, still alive, and still plan to add more posts and more info once it proves humanly possible to do so - but apart from trying to update things throughout November 2012 - the outlook doesn’t seem fantastic on my getting the time to do this - but I will try…

Thanks again for coming back, I appreciate it!

• Share/Save/Bookmark
  • 17,510 views
  • Busy, Oh So Busy…

Posted on February 26th, 2010 Dr. Mario M. Bisi No comments

It appears that some nine months have passed since I was last able to write anything other than what’s directly related to my job in terms of papers and conference talks/posters, and with the move from CA back to Wales, things aren’t getting any quieter.

I’m still here, still alive, and still plan to add more posts and more info once it proves humanly possible to do so.

Thanks for coming back, I appreciate it!

• Share/Save/Bookmark
  • 26,919 views
  • Discovery Space - Cool Space Jobs Interview - Thursday 28 May 2009

Posted on May 29th, 2009 Dr. Mario M. Bisi No comments

Well, yesterday, I was greatly honoured to undertake an IM interview for the Discovery Channel Space Science (Discovery Space) thanks to my good friend and colleague, Dr. Ian O’Neill, who has become the new host there (I wait in anticipation of some great things happening at Discovery Space with Ian at the helm). This is his first interview at Discovery and I am very excited by its outcome. I have the transcript below (courtesy of Discovery Space) and it can also be found on Discovery Space here! Happy reading and please feel free to comment below…

An example of comets in the sky as seen by the Solar Mass Ejection Imager (SMEI) in Earth orbit aboard the Coriolis satellite.

Read the rest of this entry »

• Share/Save/Bookmark
  • 47,603 views
  • JENAM 2009 - The Official Opening

Posted on April 20th, 2009 Dr. Mario M. Bisi 3 comments

The opening Ceremony of JENAM 2009.

Today (Monday 20 April 2009) saw the first day of JENAM/MIST/UKSP for EWASS with an official opening at a little after 09:00h BST following the pre-conference social opening yesterday evening (Sunday 19 April 2009). The opening ceremony started with a short introduction by the University of Hertfordshire’s Vice Chancellor Prof. Tim Wilson. Prof. Andy Fabian OBE FRS, President of the Royal Astronomical Society (RAS) then gave a brief summary of the RAS and commented on the current government’s support for science while introducing the next speaker (a parliamentary Minister).

Read the rest of this entry »

• Share/Save/Bookmark
  • 31,413 views
  • The Opening of JENAM 2009

Posted on April 19th, 2009 Dr. Mario M. Bisi 4 comments

So, I am again at another conference. This time however, it is one of a slightly different slant away from my main-stream space, solar, and heliospheric science relations to that of overall astronomy. Although, this conference does hold its fair share of such fields through a set of joint conference groups rolled into one. Yes, it’s none other than the Joint European National Astronomy Meeting (JENAM) here at the University of Hertfordshire, in England, GB. It’s actually on the de Havilland campus in Hatfield where everything is taking place. This also includes the British Royal Astronomical Society (RAS) National Astronomy Meeting (NAM), the United Kingdom Solar Physics (UKSP) meeting, and the Magnetosphere, Ionosphere and Solar-Terrestrial (MIST) meeting in which I am co-organiser of a joint session on heliospheres and astrospheres; and overall is part of the European Week of Astronomy and Space Science (EWASS) and the International Year of Astronomy (IYA) 2009

Read the rest of this entry »

• Share/Save/Bookmark
  • 22,856 views
  • Today: www.spacephysicist.com Launches!

Posted on April 8th, 2009 Dr. Mario M. Bisi No comments

Hello and welcome to the launch of spacephysicist.com!

Today is the 8th of April 2009 and I am just starting out on my latest website project - website meets space blog! All the outline details are here and I am hoping to get things filled in over the coming few months. I currently work full time as a postdoctoral researcher in space, solar, and heliospheric science, and as a result I tend to be kept very busy with my research; particularly as there are a bunch of conferences coming up soon which I will be attending! Thus, please be patient, sign up to the RSS and/or E-Mail updates, and remember to keep coming back for more as it appears… I hope you enjoy your stay here at spacephysicist.com and please come back soon!

Today also marks my first astroengine.com guest article; the topic is “C.A.T. Scans of the Solar Wind” and an expanded version is here as the first full article on my new site titled “C.A.T. Scans of the Solar Wind” - An Overview. Please feel free to leave any comments…

Thank you!

• Share/Save/Bookmark
  • 34,378 views
  • Hello World!!!

Posted on March 30th, 2009 Dr. Mario M. Bisi 4 comments

I am a space, solar, and heliospheric science postdoctoral research fellow. Welsh, but I currently live in California, USA. I particularly enjoy good tea, coffee, wine, single malt whiskies (particularly peaty ones), and of course good ales and beers! Absolutely love travelling! Getting back into web stuff, so expect more here over the next few months whenever I get chance. Full launch coming soon now that the outline and backend are just about completed - come back for more shortly…

• Share/Save/Bookmark