Space, Solar, and Heliospheric Science
RSS icon Email icon Home icon
    63,746 views
  • ISS Node 3 - Tranquility

Posted on April 14th, 2009 Dr. Mario M. Bisi No comments

Well, seems my suggestion of Tranquility wasn’t the only thought of the same… So, here I am supposedly packing for three conferences among other things to go back to in the UK in a few hours and I find out that Tranquility was actually the name of ISS Node 3 chosen. Some people might say predictable, but I’ve not seen it anywhere except in my article here on the moon landings… Either way, I’m happy!

ISS Node 3 - Tranquility.

Go Tranquility (better than Colbert any day if you ask me)!

Image taken from astroengine.com.

• Share/Save/Bookmark
  • 89,475 views
  • Putting Man on the Moon - Perhaps a More Unusual Commentary

Posted on April 12th, 2009 Dr. Mario M. Bisi 7 comments

The U.S.A. started out the Space Race very much on the losing front. NASA suffered many losses to the Soviet Union (the Russians) in the early years. This began with the first successful satellite launch into space of Sputnik 1 by the Russians. Sputnik 1 was launched on the 4th of October 1957 and its successful launch ushered in the dawn of the Space Age. Later, the Russians were first to successfully launch a man (human) into Space. His name was Yuri Gagarin. The launch took place on 12th April 1961 aboard the spacecraft Vostok 3KA-2 (otherwise called Vostok 1).

When it came to the moon, again, the Russians led the way (at least at first). The first unmanned moon (hard) landing was undertaken with the Luna-2 lander on 12th September 1959. This was the first successful lunar impact. Such a hard landing was not equalled by the USA until the success (but crash success) of the lunar impact Ranger 7 Mission on 28th July 1964. The first unmanned (soft) moon landing however, was actually by the USA Surveyor 1 Mission on 30th May 1966.

Vostok 1.Ranger 7 lunar image.

Read the rest of this entry »

• Share/Save/Bookmark